Thursday, May 21, 2026

5 fertilizer firms suspended over alleged counterfeit concerns 

The Fertilizer and Pesticide Authority (FPA) has slapped suspension and preventive suspension orders on five fertilizer firms over alleged violations of fertilizer laws and regulatory policies, amid concerns over alleged counterfeit products, mislabeling, and unauthorized distribution activities.
The sanctions followed separate investigations, monitoring operations, and compliance checks involving fertilizer manufacturers, distributors, and product registrants. FPA, however, did not identify the suspended five fertilizer firms.
FPA Executive Director Glenn Estrada said the violations include refusal to allow lawful inspections by FPA personnel, sale of counterfeit and off-specification fertilizer products, product mislabeling, and unauthorized movement of products already covered by Stop Sale, Stop Use, Stop Move, and Hold (SUMS) orders.
Estrada also revealed that some of the firms involved had been participating in government fertilizer procurement and bidding activities, including the Department of Agriculture’s fertilizer subsidy program.
The FPA stressed the need to ensure that only compliant, duly registered, and quality-assured fertilizer products and handlers are allowed to join government-backed agricultural programs benefiting Filipino farmers.
Agriculture Secretary Francisco P. Tiu Laurel Jr. backed the agency’s enforcement actions, saying strict regulation is crucial to protecting farmers and safeguarding public funds allocated for agricultural support programs.
“We cannot allow questionable and non-compliant fertilizer products to undermine our farmers’ productivity and compromise the integrity of government agricultural programs. These enforcement actions send a strong message that the government is serious about protecting Filipino farmers and ensuring accountability across the fertilizer industry,” Tiu Laurel said.
The DA chief said regional officials of the agency are now being investigated by Internal Audit Service to look into possible collusion with erring fertilizer firms. “We must make sure that our personnel in the regions are above reproach,” he said.
Some cases, the agency added, involve unresolved questions on the validity, traceability, and regulatory status of certain fertilizer products and registrations.
Estrada said these violations undermine the integrity of the country’s fertilizer regulatory system and may expose farmers and the agricultural sector to risks linked to unverified, unregistered, adulterated, or non-compliant products.
He also issued a stern warning to erring firms, saying the agency would intensify its crackdown against unscrupulous fertilizer handlers exploiting farmers and government programs.
“We will not hesitate to take decisive regulatory action against entities that continue to disregard fertilizer laws and put farmers at risk. The protection of Filipino farmers and the integrity of the country’s agricultural supply chain remain our top priorities,” he said.
Pending final resolution of the cases, the affected companies and products will be temporarily removed from the official list of FPA-registered fertilizer handlers and products.
The FPA said preventive suspension is a precautionary regulatory measure meant to protect farmers, consumers, and the public while investigations and compliance verification remain ongoing.
The agency reiterated its commitment to intensifying inspections and enforcement efforts against firms violating fertilizer regulations, warning that penalties may include suspension or revocation of licenses, disqualification from government transactions, and possible criminal charges.
Farmers and stakeholders were urged to buy only FPA-registered fertilizer products from licensed dealers and to report suspicious or counterfeit agricultural inputs to the agency.
- Advertisement -spot_img
spot_img

LATEST

- Advertisement -spot_img